Property Disposal


KU Surplus will pick up reusable surplus items located on the University of Kansas - Lawrence campus at no cost to campus departments. Only items from KU departments will be accepted, and any pick up requested for materials off-campus will be assessed a labor charge, per Surplus employee.

If you would like to schedule a pick up, please fill out an Online Work Request.

Departments disposing of reusable surplus items are responsible for all required documentation to dispose of the surplus item(s). A Disposition of Property (DA-110) form is required for any item that originally cost $5,000.00 or more.

Departments must have an approved copy of the DA-110 before contacting Work Management to coordinate pick up. If you need assistance with this process, contact Property Accounting Services.

KU Surplus Property Procedures

  1. For the purposes of these procedures, surplus property is any property purchased with KU or KUCR funds or donated to a University department that is excess to need, obsolete, damaged, or otherwise no longer useable by the department. Surplus property also includes property that has been abandoned on the KU campus.
  2. The goal of the surplus property program is to handle University surplus items to accomplish alternate use, to handle sale or other disposal, to provide reduction of storage of unusable items, and to insure maintenance of an inventory of usable items.
  3. This document covers procedures for transferring and/or disposing of property that is surplus to University needs.
  4. It should be understood that many items that come into the KU Surplus often retain little or no resale value, and recovering any value from some items is a great task. KU Surplus has as its goal to address end of economic life issues for KU property in an efficient, cost effective, and environmentally sound manner. Items donated to the University must remain in use for a minimum of two years to remain tax deductible to the donor.  Departments that choose not to use a gift for this period of time must notify Property Accounting so that the donor can be notified of the change in usage. 
  5. Trade-ins are excluded from the surplus policy.  For trade-in procedures contact the appropriate property accountant.
  1. University of Kansas. These procedures fulfill the requirements of the University Surplus Property Policy.
  2. Kansas Board of Regents.  The KU policy and procedures are guided by the KBOR Board Policy Manual, Section II.D.15, Authorized Disposition of Surplus Property.
  1. In operation of the University surplus property program, KU Surplus is responsible for overall monitoring of the program, receiving and storing items declared surplus, reassignment of property, handling disposal in accordance with University, State and Federal regulations, applicable coordination with Property Accounting Services and Procurement Services, and distribution of any proceeds from sales. 
  2. KU departments disposing of or donating property are responsible for any applicable documentation or permission required in the disposing or donating of items to KU Surplus.
  3. The Property Accounting Office and KUCR Financial Services are responsible for approving department requests for the disposal of surplus property that requires usage of the Disposition of Property Form and responsible for securing Federal surplus items required by Federal projects, for record maintenance of government property and for disposal (to the University or other sources) of Federal property when the respective project is completed or the property becomes surplus to the project.
  1. Department actions on surplus property. If the property is no longer of use to the department, it must be reported to KU Surplus for disposition.  An Online Work Order Request should be utilized for all items determined by the disposing department as surplus.   A department with surplus property should complete all paperwork for disposal of items: For any item listed on the Property Accounting inventory, the department should complete a Disposition of Property Form to be approved by appropriate Property Accountant prior to any disposition action by KU Surplus.  Once approved, KU Surplus will evaluate the request, determine the appropriate means of disposal, and pick up property or, under certain conditions, authorize the department to take specific disposal action.
  2. KU Surplus disposal actions.  Upon receipt of the work request, KU Surplus will review the request and, if disposal seems to be in the best interest of the University, provide instructions to the releasing department.  Individual items not requiring a Disposition of Property Form when donated to KU Surplus shall be considered property of KU Surplus.  Approval from KU Surplus must be obtained for each of the following property disposal actions.  KU Surplus will maintain a record of all such transactions:
    1.  Items for resale to campus departments.  Surplus items may be sold to another department of the University.  KU Surplus will maintain an online inventory of available surplus items as well as review “want lists” for possible requests for specific items. Surplus items are stored in the KU Surplus Property warehouse and are available to other departments for a reasonable price.  This material will be issued on a “first come – first served, as is” basis. 
    2. Items available for transfer to other agencies.  Periodically other State of Kansas and Board of Regents agencies should be notified in writing of items surplus to the University and available to other State agencies.  The KU Surplus website will also be available to these agencies.  For items on inventory, KU Surplus will notify the appropriate property accountant at the recipient agency for the transfer.
    3.  Donations to educational or charitable institutions.  Items no longer of use to the University may be donated to educational or charitable institutions for humanitarian, educational or public relation reasons.  The Property Accounting Office will maintain a list of approved eligible nonprofit agencies.          
    4.  Sale by KU Surplus. KU Surplus may sell items to the general public by one of the following means:
      1. Advertised fixed price.  Items established by the seller that have a known, fixed price. 
      2. Negotiated price.  Specialized items or material of considerable value but with limited market may be sold at a price negotiated by KU Surplus. 
      3. Advertised sealed bid.  Specialized items with limited marketability may be disposed of by sending letters of request for sealed bids to possible interested bidders, coordinated through KU Procurement Services.
      4. Advertised public auction.  Items of general demand and not appropriate to disposal by sealed bid or negotiated price may be sold at public auction as determined by KU Surplus. The auction will be widely advertised and open to the public.  The KU Surplus Operations Coordinator will make arrangements for the auction, including hiring an auctioneer.  Agreement should include: date, advertising terms, etc.  The KU Surplus Operations Coordinator shall be present at the auction to answer questions and act on behalf of the University of Kansas.
      5. Online Auction.  KU Surplus may select items to be offered through an approved online auction website.  The KU Surplus Operations Coordinator will list items and oversee the online auction.
      6. Salvage. At the determination of KU Surplus, items of may be sold as scrap or salvage.
      7. Destruction.  Property that has no monetary or other value or use may be authorized to be landfilled or disposed of by other acceptable means.
  3. Sale on Behalf of Campus Department. KU Surplus may sell items on behalf of campus departments though advertised or negotiated price, sealed bid, or online auction.  This includes but is not limited to specialized items such as lab equipment, computer equipment, electronic waste, musical instruments, residential furnishings, athletic equipment, art, crops, lumber standing or felled, salvaged building materials, vehicles, aircraft, watercraft and tools. Revenues will be returned to the selling department, less associated KU Surplus fees (see Section VI). 
  4. Controlled items.  Any surplus property or materials that are considered hazardous materials (i.e., chemicals, biological, lasers, radioisotopes, radiation generating devices) or may be contaminated with hazardous materials are restricted as to disposition method and source.  All hazardous materials items, equipment that has contained hazardous materials, or items that are known or may be contaminated with hazardous materials must go through KU-EHS Department review and evaluation before they may be removed from their location.  Proper decontamination and decommissioning will be performed by the responsible unit with oversight and assistance from KU Environment, Health and Safety (EHS).  EHS will make final determination as to whether items are eligible for surplus, recycling or must go for disposal.  Disposal of any hazardous materials is overseen by EHS.
  5. Disposal of Property Associated with External Sponsors.  All property and equipment purchased or constructed with external funding, or provided by an external sponsor, regardless of whether the title is retained by the sponsor or the University, may only be disposed of in accordance with the terms and conditions of the external sponsor’s requirements.  Such property will be identified by a decal or tag of a different type and/or color than that affixed to University- owned equipment. See the KU Center for Research policy for details.  
  6. Transfer of Federal Property. Transfer of property purchased with federal funds may be made upon request of another University that has the same or a similar contract/grant for which the property was originally purchased at the University of Kansas.  Before transfer may be approved there must be:
    1. A written request from the requesting institution listing all items requested and agreement to pay all charges in connection with the transfer, including costs of dismantling, packing, shipping, insurance, and that the requesting institution accepts accountability for the equipment.  Under certain circumstances as determined by the Department Head, KUCR Financial Services, and KU Property Accounting the requesting institution may also be required to pay fair market value or provide certain property trades and/or other reimbursement. 
    2. The relevant Dean, Department Head, KU Property Accounting and KUCR Financial Services must approve the release of the property.  When required, written authorization should be secured from the sponsor agency.
    3. Submission of a disposition of property form, acceptable written request and above mentioned property list is necessary to change University property needs.
  1. All items received by KU Surplus will be removed from campus inventory prior to collection, when applicable, as noted in Section IV.A.
  2. KU Surplus will maintain an accounting inventory in aggregate of non-capital warehoused items. Disposal of items will be recorded as sold, donated, salvaged or destroyed. 
  3. For items that meet the capital asset capitalization threshold, KU Surplus is responsible for reporting to KU Property Accounting if an item has been returned to service so that the asset can be reinstated and assigned to the correct department.  Capital assets will be tracked separately to ensure compliance with Property Accounting documentation requirements
  1. Most acquisitions of University vehicles are purchased under a State contract.  The old vehicle in such a case is disposed of through a sealed bid sale or auction handled by KU Surplus. 
  2. Titles will be secured from Property Accounting and assigned by the Comptroller or her authorized representative to the purchaser. 
  3. The proceeds, less the handling fee, will be credited to the respective cost center. 
  4. Before a vehicle is surrendered to the purchaser, the following must be completed:
    1. Cleaning. Vehicles requiring cleaning (interior and/or exterior) when surrendered will be assessed an additional fee at the hourly labor rate when cleaned by KU Surplus or the cost of a cleaning service if required. 
    2. Decals. KU decals will be removed by the FS Garage before the vehicle is sold.
    3. License plates. License plates will be removed by KU Surplus and turned into the FS Garage. 
    4. Fuel.  For purposes of conservation, departments disposing of vehicles should avoid surrendering surplus vehicles with a full tank of gasoline
    5. Title reassignment
      1. Before KU Surplus lists a vehicle or trailer for sale, they must contact Property Accounting to verify that a title exists.  They will provide the Property Accountant with the year, manufacturer, VIN, license tag number and name of the department that currently owns the vehicle or trailer. 
      2. After Property Accounting confirms that a title exists, KU Surplus will be given permission to sell the vehicle or trailer.
      3. KU Surplus must include the following statement in the bid specifications for vehicle and trailer sales:   Title distribution may be delayed up to 14 days from date of payment.
      4. Once the auction has closed and payment has been made by the buyer, KU Surplus will immediately e-mail the Property Accountant and provide the following information:
        1. Vehicle/trailer year, manufacturer and VIN
        2. Buyer name and address as it should appear on the title
        3. Odometer reading and whether or not the actual miles are in excess of the mechanical limits of the odometer
        4. Purchase price
        5. Dealer number if buyer is a dealer
      5. Property Accounting will complete the title, secure the appropriate signature and notify KU Surplus that the title is ready to be picked up.
      6. KU Surplus will pick up the title from Property Accounting and be responsible for ensuring that the buyer receives the title.
  1. KU Surplus Service Fees.
    1. Resale to Campus Departments. KU departments may purchase items from KU Surplus. Delivery of purchased items is available to departments at a fee of $40.00/person/hour.
    2. Sales on Behalf of Campus Departments.  Proceeds from sales on behalf of a campus department will be deposited in the selling department’s account.  Sales will be subject to a labor fee of $40/hour.
  2. Revenues.
    1. All receipts from the sale of surplus property must be credited to KU Surplus. Money received is documented and deposited in accordance with standard University accounting practices by the Campus Administration & Operations Shared Service Center (CAO-SSC).  The CAO-SSC will also be responsible for reconciling auction transaction reports with cash deposits.
    2. Proceeds from sales made on behalf of campus departments, less the handling fee, will then be reallocated as follows:
      1. Contracts and grants.  Proceeds from the sale of property that was purchased from a contract or grant will be credited to the respective project if still open.  If the Federal project has been closed, agency regulations may require proceeds to be returned to the sponsor.  Purchasing will coordinate with the Property Accounting Office and/or KUCR Financial Services before selling property of this nature.  If there are no restrictions, any proceeds from sales, less handling fees, will be credited to the respective department cost center.
      2. Auxiliary funds.  Proceeds, less the handling fee, from the sale of property purchased with auxiliary funds will be credited to the respective Auxiliary Enterprise fund and cost center. 
      3. Gifts.  Proceeds, less the handling fee, from the sale of items that were gifts to the University (when such items can be clearly identified as gifts and not purchased from appropriated or Federal funds) may be credited to the department that had accountable possession or to the Development fund account number.
      4. All other.  All proceeds, less the handling fee, of a type not outlined in paragraphs a. through d. above will be credited to the miscellaneous revenue account of the respective department cost center as may be established by the appropriation, bond resolution, etc.
    3.  KU Surplus will submit a quarterly report to the Comptroller’s Office and Campus Operations detailing sales, donations, and estimated savings to campus departments through cost avoidance associated with the purchase of surplus.
  1. Campus Departments and Auxiliaries. Campus departments and auxiliaries are responsible for pickup or arranging delivery of purchases.  Delivery rates apply (See VII.A).
  2. Non-Campus Entities. Property purchased by buyers outside of the University must be promptly collected from the KU Surplus Warehouse.  All items must be paid for in full.  
  3. Sales. All items are sold as is and all sales are final.